May 13, 2008

Bob Barker Is Rolling Over In His (Proverbial) Grave

I've mentioned in the past that I often watch The Price is Right when I go home for lunch. It is entertaining, often amusing and occasionally gives me something to babble on about. Today, however, something happened that was so shocking that I needed to post about it. I'm still not even sure that it wasn't all some sort of weird dream. Normally, the models stand around holding or pointing at prizes while waving and smiling as much as the Botox allows. Today, during the first Showcase, three models were sitting around a table pretending to have a discussion about the former guys in their lives when it happened. . . The models spoke. One by one, they shared a "story" that led into a reveal of the next prize. I couldn't believe it. I was fairly sure that there were rules against this sort of thing, but apparently not.

Did anyone else see this, and were you as surprised as I was?

Apologies to Melissa for stealing and slightly altering her statement to use as the title for this post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, are you some kind of misyognist? Pretty women aren't allowed to speak?

Seriously, though... maybe it's a desperate move by the producers to endear the cast to the audience. Because nobody's endeared by Drew Carey.

Craig said...

Yeah, you caught me. Always trying to keep women from having their say. :)

I was really just so surprised because I don't remember ever seeing the models speak. They were always treated like a part of the set.

So, are you really not liking Drew at all? It took some getting used to, but now that he's comfortable as host, he seems to be kind of fun. But he is a completely different style of host than Bob Barker.

Esther said...

I didn't see this, but that's SO weird! I watched the Price is Right for a long time and once in a while a model would speak, but only directly to Bob Barker and she wouldn't have a microphone so you couldn't really hear her.

Herge Smith said...

we don't have this in the UK. It was on for a bit maybe 20 years ago but not anymore - frankly there's not enough room in the schedules, what with all the make over shows, reality game shows, reality docudramas, and celebrity exposes for anything as tacky as the price is right.

Melissa said...

I hope it never happens again. It freaked me out.