February 12, 2007

A Preponderance of Ponderables

I spend a good portion of my life wondering about things. As my thoughts flit from one subject to the next, they occasionally pause long enough for me to wonder why things are the way they are. A few things I've been pondering recently:

I wonder if I really should have used the word "flit" in the second sentence in this post. Obviously, I've been pondering that one very recently.

I sometimes wonder how a word for rendered chicken fat, schmaltz, ended up in our vocabulary as a word for something that is overly sentimental. For that matter, how is it that another seemingly out of place food-related word, cheesy, can sometimes be interchanged with it? If rendered fat has something to do with being overly sentimental, do you think that anyone would understand if you left a movie talking about how "lardic" it was?

When I see icicles on the roofs of houses, I wonder if I am the only one who broke them off as a kid and pretended they were crystals in Superman's Fortress of Solitude.

I wonder if one of my coworkers is actually a robot. He doesn't talk much and seems to have a number of preset phrases which he can use to respond to people. I once heard him try to crack a joke. It didn't really help his cause. One day, I'm going to try to confuse him with a logical paradox and see if his head explodes.

I wonder why, as soon as the first snow falls, people lose the ability to park inside the painted lines. One inch of snow and it's Lord of the Flies. Bunch of savages.

Since I saw an ad for Glade candles earlier, I've been wondering if it's really a good thing to have people in your commercials be so ashamed of your product that they have to lie about it to their friends. That just seems counter-productive to me.

When I see the woman wearing the huge, animal print (faux?) fur coat, I wonder if she's just trying to stay warm or if she has a few ladies that work for her and she's trying to maintain the right image.

How about you? What important issues have been weighing on your mind?

2 comments:

Esther said...

I've always wondered about all of the people I see during days off in NYC, questioning if there are really that many people who don't work. Now that today is my first day working from home, I guess I can understand it a little more. But not quite...

Matt said...

What if C-A-T really spells "dog"?