December 11, 2006

I Don't Really Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas

As is often the case at this time of year, Christmas music is everywhere. Much of the music is wonderful, but there are some things that I just don't get. Then there are others that should be completely banned.

In the "don't get it" category is Manheim Steamroller. Nothing but instrumental versions of traditional Christmas songs sped up and enhanced with synthesizers. Somehow this comes across as more annoying to me than enjoyable. It's seems to be the equivalent of listening to all your music as old midi files or low quality ringtones.

On a more extreme note, I cannot find a good reason that the Cyndi Lauper version of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" should ever be played again.

The most peculiar thing about the music this season is that I've had "Good King Wenceslaus" stuck in my head for days. I'm not sure where I heard it, and I'm not even too sure I have the words right. The version in my head goes something like this: "La la Wenceslaus la la, La la la la Cleveland. La la Wenceslaus la la, La la Chris van Even." After that it pretty much breaks down into a scene of Tom Hanks being frightened by Dan Aykroyd's driving as they go to rescue the virgin Connie Swail, but that part's probably just me.

No comments: