August 03, 2006

Running Diary: World Series of Pop Culture Finale

10:00-Continuing the semifinal match between El Chupacabra and Almost Perfect Strangers from last week's episode. The first category is Taglines.

10:01-It's ok Larry, I thought it was Ghost too.

10:02-Home Alone came out in 1990? I thought it was earlier than that.

10:03-I'm currently screaming "Grosse Pointe Blank" at the television. Unfortunately, Larry doesn't hear me and is eliminated.

10:04-Next category: Famous Cars

10:05-Whoa! Kim from Almost Perfect Strangers towers over Alexandra from El Chupacabra.

10:06-Kim pulls out a great answer with Ecto I after seeming to have no idea.

10:07-Alexandra can't remember that Starsky and Hutch drove a Grand Torino and is eliminated. We're down to the last person for each team.

10:12-New category: Video Cameos

10:13-Ali G isn't a comedian. He's a character played by a comedian. For some reason the answer is still acceptable.

10:15-Easiest category ever, but Kim misses "Crazy" and Mason steals to send it to a tie breaker.

10:16-The tie breaker category: U2 Studio Albums.

10:18-Each player names two before running out, sending us to a second tie breaker, for CMA Entertainers of the Year.

10:19-It's over quickly as Mason wins 1-0. El Chupacabra wins. VH1 tricked us all with the faux spoiler in their previews that seemed to indicate that Almost Perfect Strangers would be making the finals.

10:25-It's time for the finals. Boeghy Bunch versus El Chupacabra. First category for the finals: Tom Cruise movies

10:25-Pat reveals that the categories in the finals are ten questions rather than 6.

10:27-Could you be alive in the 80's and not know that Maverick sang "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"? Apparently so.

10:28-We're now getting into Tom Cruise movies I've never seen or care to see.

10:29-After being down two points, Mason has tied it up with only two questions remaining.

10:31-I'm starting to think that they write some of these questions just to get Pat to read them. Tonight's example: "Austinpussy"

10:31-First category and we already have a tiebreaker. Best Supporting Actresses.

10:32-Mason is eliminated on the first question of the tiebreaker. Boeghy is up 3-2.

10:33-Amanda from Boeghy is at the mic. Perhaps we'll hear about how she got engaged after one of the earlier rounds. Again.

10:33-TV Teen Dramas. I'd be dead in this category.

10:35-Ok, I've had to yell at them for missing that last two questions, and I don't watch any of these shows.

10:37-The former Secretary of State was on Gilmore Girls? It's one thing to have a Vice President on Futurama, but that's just going too far. Amanda is eliminated and we're tied at 2 team members each.

10:42-Category 1990's Lyrics. As we all know, lyrics without music is not my specialty.

10:43-That is not Ironic, Alanis.

10:44-I got the right group (All 4 One) but the wrong song (I Swear).

10:45-Mikey, your Random 10 is much harder than this, and there isn't $250,000 on the line.

10:46-Both players guess Tom Petty songs instead of Counting Crows, and El Chupacabra is up 2-1.

10:47-New Category: Fictional Locales.

10:47-Once again, Pat has to ask a question that was written just because it's amusing to hear him say it. This time: Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

10:48-Jodi, who is from Georgia, almost misses a question with the answer Georgia, leading to a lecture from Pat.

10:51-Ok, if you don't remember that the floating city in Empire was Cloud City, you need to go back and watch the trilogy a few more times.

10:52-Our second Magnum P.I. question of the night. If Jodi can steal, she'll win the whole thing. She can't.

10:55-10th question in the round. If Jodi gets it or if Jason doesn't steal, El Chupacabra wins. But first a bunch of commercials. This pretty much ruins the suspense since she has to get it right for the show to end on time.

10:58-She misses, but Jason confidently gives a real college as an answer to a question about a fictional college. El Chupacabra wins!

I love this show. I only wish that there were more episodes still to come. Oh well, there's always next season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wooo! I like your recap better than watching the actual show! Good thing I recorded it because my old self fell asleep in the middle.

And what's this I hear? They DIDN'T tell the Boeghy engagement story for the ninety millionth time?

Itchy said...

I told my hubby last night when it was over that I wished this would be an ongoing thing. I loved it.

Last week's spoiler showed me that it would be the Boeghies and the Chupacabras in the final. I was PISSED that they gave it away. I was cheering for the Stangers to win it all.

Anonymous said...

10:31-I'm starting to think that they write some of these questions just to get Pat to read them. Tonight's example: "Austinpussy"

OMGHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! I'm watching it now in the DVR, and Pat looked *so* uncomfortable saying "Austinpussy!" I love this show so much!