August 14, 2006

He'll Save Every One of Us

I watched Flash Gordon again recently. It had been quite a while, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Other than the effects being even more dated than they seemed the last time I saw it, not much changed in my perceptions of it. It was still cheesy but fun, and the Queen score was pretty much perfect for the tone of the film. There were some things I picked up on now that I didn't remember from previous viewings. For example:

Dale and Flash met on the plane which crashed at Zarkov's lab. Zarkov told them that there were 11 days until earth was destroyed. Later, with about 3 days until the destruction of earth, he suggests that she save her stories for their kids. She assumes this is a marriage proposal and accepts. They have known each other for just over a week, and she thought he was dead for most of that time. They move pretty quickly.

I'm pretty sure that the people behind G.I. Joe must have watched this movie and gotten a look at Klytus before designing Destro. In fact, they may even have used General Kala as inspiration for the Baroness, but maybe I saw that because I saw Klytus as Destro.

Of all the people in the film, who would have thought that Prince Barin would be the one to make it big. He went from this to eventually being James Bond. Impressive.

On the subject of Barin, did no one else find it weird that his name was Prince Barin? Does he have siblings named Count Dook and Viceroy Erl? While we're at it, I felt kind of sorry for him at the end. Sure he's alive and he gets to be king, but he's still with Aura. While she may have found the ability to cry, does he really think she's done being a tramp? The girl was dating have the population of Mongo and manipulating them to get them to do whatever she wanted. Does anyone really think the bore worms changed all that?

After watching again, I realized that it probably won't matter how many times I watch it, Prince Vultan will still be my favorite part.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wha, nothing about how perfectly the role of Ming the Merciless was played by Max Von Sydow?

Quick trivia: the guy who played Prince Vultan also played the Leader of the Gungans in Star Wars Episode I. So, he went from being the mighty leader of the Hawkpeople and General of the Mongol armies to... the guy who made Jar Jar a general.

Oh, and since you mentioned James Bond movies, Timothy Dalton isn't the only connection - the guy who played Dr. Zarkov (Topol - I remember his name because... well he's only got one name, and it's odd) was also in a James Bond movie. I forget which one, but I remember them climbing the face of a huge rock. And it had Lynn Holly Johnson in it. Man, she was annoying.

Why yes, I like the Flash Gordon movie, too. Heh.

Anonymous said...

FLASH! AAAAAH! King of the impossible!