February 14, 2006

So I Can Clearly Not Choose The Wine in Front of Me

One of the things that Melissa got me for Christmas this year was Civilization IV. I've been a huge fan of the Civ games since the first time I played one. Civ IV is no different in that respect than the others. It is enjoyable and can be played repeatedly. One day you might decide to focus all your research on military topics so that you can conquer the world. Another time, you might decide that you want to win by being elected by the United Nations. You could even focus on science and win the Space Race. Military victories have actually been made a little more difficult than in some of the earlier versions.

When I first got the game, I had a hard time playing because I needed more RAM for our desktop PC. We bought some and installed it, so I have been playing Civ IV much more recently. As the game loads, it puts up all sorts of tips on how to play and ideas about how to focus your civilization. After a while I stopped paying attention to this because I didn't need to be told that I should have my workers build farms if I need more food or trade with other civilizations to gain access to new resources. Then a day or two ago, I noticed that it gave me a bit of advice I'd never seen before:

"Never get involved in a land war in Asia."

I'm still waiting for it to tell me not to go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Until later...

5 comments:

Becki said...

I love that movie.

Anonymous said...

I love it when the people that put software together express themselves liike this. I recall a help topic in some versions of Linux that states, "Help stamp-out and abolosh redundancy."

CrazyJohn said...

It's not the Persian's fault they're the biggest and the strongest. They don't even exercise.

James Hooten said...

That is great. Once I acquire a better computer, I may purchase the new Civ. I'm stilly playing Civ III. I'm so 2004.

Becki said...

That offically beats the 'There is no cow level' tip that I've been getting when I log into Wow.