February 23, 2006

One Bad Apple Don't Spoil The Whole Bunch, Girl

As I pawed through the produce at the grocery store the other day, this Jackson 5 song popped into my head. It occurred to me just how horribly inaccurate the song actually is.

Once I stopped to think about it, I realized that one bad apple may not actually spoil the whole bunch, but it's not so good either. Randomly choosing one apple and finding it to be unacceptable is fairly indicative of improper storage conditions or inferior produce. This implies that perhaps the whole bunch should at least considered be suspect, if not rejected outright.

After further thought (and further perusal of the subpar produce), I had a second problem with the song. Given sufficient time, one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. Try it sometime. Take a piece of fruit that is rotting, covered in mold or otherwise no longer ok. Place the bad fruit into a container with other acceptable fruit. Watch as they all become mushy, inedible masses. One bad apple did spoil the whole bunch.

Finally I decided that perhaps I spend a little too much time thinking about these things, and I should stop. So, I picked the best oranges I could find (yeah, this whole thing wasn't even about apples) and moved on to frozen foods section so I could pick out the ice cream.

Until later...

5 comments:

Becki said...

I don't think you should be allowed at the grocery store anymore. It's driving you quietly mad.

MC Etcher said...

How come you never hear about worms in oranges? Perhaps they don't care for the citrus?

M said...

http://store.yahoo.com/osmondgeneralstore/osulcolimbrf.html

Hate to tell you, but the Jackson 5 didn't sing that song. It was the Osmonds. We used to have it on 78 lp along with Crazy Horses. I loved that song. :-)

Craig said...

Ok, you two have pointed out that I was wrong about who sang the song. Now you've left me with no choice but to fix the post, delete your comments and pretend the whole thing never happened. Nope, no one made any mistakes here.

M said...

A mistake is part of the learning process. Now you can wipe anyone's hiney on Jeapardy! :-D