January 25, 2005

There's No Place Like...

Home Court? Ok, I haven't talked much (i.e. at all) about sports on here yet. I've pretty much just discussed my nerdish tendencies, but tonight that has to change. The University of Wisconsin came into tonight with a 38-game winning streak on their home court. Tonight's game was against the current number 1 team in the country, the University of Illinois Fighting Illini (my alma mater). Ok, so we have the undefeated, top-ranked team going for their 20th win against the 19th-ranked team going for their 39th consecutive home win. Stage set? Right. Let's get to it.

Normally, I wouldn't watch a game that doesn't even start until after 9:00, but this is a big game. The commentators on ESPN (why has no one banned Dick Vitale from television yet?) even said that tickets were going for over $1000 on eBay. So I decide to watch the game, knowing that there is good chance the Illini's undefeated season will end tonight, and that if it does I will be furious with myself for staying up.

Fortunately for me and all who have to interact with me tomorrow, the Illini won. Wisconsin's home streak is snapped. The Illini's winning streak is intact. Though the Illini won by 10, the game was incredibly close, and exciting throughout, with Illinois going on a 14-1 run in the last four and a half minutes to finish it off. Unfortunately, it's now well past my bedtime, so I'll have to leave the remainder of the celebrating for tomorrow.

Until la...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: