January 17, 2005

Holiday! Celebrate!

Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and I am off work. So is the Post Office and probably your bank.

I'm not going to complain about having a day off of work, nor will I complain about having a day to honor the work of Dr. King. I think both of those are wonderful things, and I would like to see both of them more often. I won't, however, pretend that I understand the way we honor people with days like today. Would you like to celebrate a leader of the Civil Rights movement? Don't do anything for day. How about for the veterans of wars or those who have given their lives in service to our country? Three-day weekend, baby! How should we properly show appreciation for the work force of our nation? By not working, of course.

Like I said, I'm not complaining about the holiday or the day off of work. I'm merely suggesting that if these days (Martin Luther King Day, Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Presidents' Day, etc.) are important then maybe, just maybe, we should try to find something better to do to ensure that those we are supposedly remembering do not end up forgotten, save for a single day when we all get to sleep in.

Until later...

No comments: