January 21, 2005

The Notorious P.I.G.

Around two years ago, my wife and I decided to try to lose some weight. At the time I was pushing three bills. I wasn't there yet, but I was certainly closer to 300 than 200. In fact, at my heaviest, I was closer to 300 than I was to 250. Over the course of several months and with the help of several modifications to our eating habits, I dropped a decent amount of weight. Fast forward to today, and I have put back on some of that weight. I'm not up as high as I was two years ago, but I've gained back much more than I would care to admit. I'd like to think that I'm just bulking up for the winter, but since I don't get to hibernate, I don't think that excuse works.

This week I started being much more careful again. We originally lost weight using the Weight Watchers plan, so I know it works for me. The real problem is finding that motivation within myself to get started. Once I make it through those first few days and fight off the cravings for fried things, ice cream and chocolate (not all together, mind you), it becomes more routine.

Why am I telling you this, you ask. It's all about accountability. If I tell you about it, I have to keep going. I can't just quit if I have a responsibility to you, my faceless denizens of netdom. After all, I can disappoint myself--I've been doing it for over twenty years now--but I can't stand to let anyone else down, even if I have no clue who they are.

That said, I think I'm going to go order a pizza. :)

Until later...

No comments: