May 26, 2007

Pirates 3

We went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End yesterday. Overall, I thought it was better than the second movie and not as good as the first. I'm not going to go into tremendous detail, but I'll give my thoughts on the good and bad.

What worked: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Bill Nighy--Let's be realistic, you're not likely to have a bad movie with these guys in it. "Nine pieces of whatever we have in our pockets." Lots of piratey fighting goodness. Most of the visual effects. Keith Richards. The fact that things really didn't turn out to be as predictable as you'd...well...predict.

What didn't work: After three films the style of humor is getting closer and closer to completely absurd--Much of it is still funny, but there is the occasional gag that falls flat. A few visual effects-- amazing things can be done with visual effects now, but apparently people swinging around and flying through the air has yet to be perfected (see also: the first Spiderman film). Not enough Chow Yun Fat. The plot--I'm not saying it was bad, but it was as if they tried to see how complicated they could make it. You're never really sure who's allied with whom, mostly because the characters themselves don't even seem to be sure. A few points seem to make little sense and a few other ideas, including romantic interests for background characters, seem to be forgotten or completely contradicted in other parts of the film.

Would I recommend it? Sure, just know that it's a 168 minute long popcorn film. But its 168 minutes feel shorter than the 150 min of Dead Man's Chest.

6 comments:

bamamammy said...

Soooo, without giving away the ending, what did you think of the ending?

Anonymous said...

I agree with pretty much most if not all that you say here. I HATED the second one. I still want those 2 hours of my life back. And even at 168 minutes long, they could have told us what happened when Calypso meets an old lover (not to give anything away). I mean, c'mon. My favorite scene was the one filmed on the Great Salt Lake tho.

I still pine for the days when Kiera wore a corset for most of the movie. *sigh*

srah said...

I agree too. The second one was horrible, and this was better. And I agree with jenben that KK's outfits were better in the other movies!

Craig said...

The ending? Well...On the scale of great cinematic surprises, I think it fell somewhere in that vast region between Shrek (Oh, the princess is an Ogre too. I'm mildly surprised) and The Usual Suspects (Wait, so he...and that whole...but, how did...). It wasn't what I expected, but it wasn't remarkably shocking and I actually liked the way things turned out. Had they turned out that other way that they appeared to be headed, a great responsibility would have been put on the shoulders of someone who is completely not able to handle it.

(I think this may have been the most vague comment ever written.)

Poledra said...

If you haven't seen Pirates 3 don't read this comment!! But I have to say - Why can't a movie just end anymore? (RE: Spidey 3, and now Pirates 3 and a host of others) Must everything leave room for another sequel? And, sorry bro, but I disliked this one worse than the second. Maybe because I'm a cynic and I know that when Elizabeth is 50 and her darling Will hasnt aged that it might be a bit awkward...Oh...wait? Did some one say "Fountain of Youth?" Oh Ho! Pirates 4: The Quest for the Fountain of Youth - What a coincidence! ^-^ And, finally, I have to say, although, if buried at sea I wouldn't mind awakening to Orlando Bloom's eyes (or anything else for that matter), I still think Will Turner's Locker sounds STUPID!

Craig said...

Sure it doesn't sound as good. I voted for calling it Mickey Dolenz's Locker, but no one cares what I think.