May 09, 2007

Alternatively, I Could Cut My Legs Off at the Knee

So, I mentioned earlier that we mowed our lawn for the first time this season. It looks good, and I'm glad it's done, but my aching back raises some interesting questions. (Normally, I'd prefer to not post two things about yardwork within such a short period of time, but the reality is that I've got nothing else to talk about.)

When I mowed and when I used the wheelbarrow to carry brush out to the curb, I realized that ergonomics has not yet hit the lawn and garden industry. My problem with both is that they require me to either slump over or to have my arms in an incorrect position. The handle on the mower is adjustable, but even at the highest setting, it's a long way down there. After just a few minutes of mowing, my back begins to feel tight. A few minutes more, and it feels more like someone kicked me in the spine repeatedly.

The wheelbarrow is pretty much the same. To get the handle to the right height, I have to tilt it until it is almost perpendicular to the ground, which causes the front to scrape along the ground, preventing it from moving further.

Here is what I don't get. Isn't there a lawn mower out there somewhere that is designed for people over six feet tall? Right...a riding mower, but unless I win the lottery (without playing) I don't see that one happening anytime soon.

No comments: