March 19, 2007

Anything You Write Can and Will Be Held Against You In a Court of Grammar

I've realized something recently. I have become a grammar cop. I didn't intend for this to happen. I don't even know how it happened. All I know (other than that for me to correct grammar is somewhat hypocritical) is that as I have been reviewing more and more documents for other people at work, I have started breaking out the red pen and going to town.

Sure, I can catch most of the major mistakes, but there are some things that just jump out at me-- My grammatical pet peeves, if you will.

In my work, the word streak is often used as a verb. This is perfectly acceptable until people start trying to speak in the past tense. I spend a great deal of time arguing that the past tense and past participle of streak is, in fact, streaked and not struck, which would imply some sort of violence in the workplace.

The one that bothers me the most (for no reason other than it does) is the confusion over insure and ensure. Insure is what Geico does. Ensure means to make sure. This sometimes carries over to the use of assure, but that's not as much of a problem.

Why do these bug me more than anything else? I have no idea, but be careful in your comments, or I might break out the red pen on here too.

3 comments:

Esther said...

The insure/ensure thing drives me crazy! I've become a grammar cop and when people are wrong I correct them in my head. I'm wondering when I will reach the point when I correct people out loud...

crse said...

Other favorites that Ive heard from CO-WORKERS WITH COLLEGE DEGREES JUST TODAY include:
ValentiMes.
Was you coming in?
Me and her were talking.

I mean Im guilty of my own offenses but damn it the word is NOT mischeeeveeeous. Its mischievous NO LONG I. NO SHORT I just V-O. NO I!!!! Bastards....

Rainypete said...

I'll have to insure that I'm a more carefull typist! It's good to know witch won two use.