February 11, 2009

I'm Not Dead and Other Bits of Useless Information

Since you aren't all privy to all of the email, IM or other conversations I've had with some, but not all, of you, I figure I should post an update answering some of these questions.

Q: Yo, you dead?
A: No, despite my eating habits, I am still alive. The inactivity on this site is not the result of my departure from this life, but thank you for your concern.

Q: Have you given up your blog completely?
A: Are you kidding? I just forked over ten bucks to keep this snazzy URL. That would be like spending money on Netflix and never watching or returning your DVDs...You know what; let's move on.

Q: Are you going to post again?
A: What do you think you're reading now? Ok, maybe I shouldn't berate the few readers I have left. Will I post other things again? Yes. Will I post on a regular basis? Well, don't hold your breath for the 3-5 days a week stuff anymore.

Q: You haven't posted 3-5 days a week in a couple years, if ever.
A: That's not a question. Now shut up.

Q: Why aren't you posting anything?
A: Multiple reasons. First, I've had this blog for over 4 years now. I've only got so much to say, and there's only so much I am willing to discuss in a place like this that is quasi-anonymous and not remotely private. Second, my job has been getting more demanding as time goes on, and recently, I changed positions (sort of) making things even more demanding. This all means that I don't have much in the way of mental capacity to think of things to say. Rest assured, when I think of something to post about, you'll see it...assuming I have time to write and can write coherently.

Q: So, anything exciting going on in your life?
A: Not really, no. Unless you want to discuss lot release and need by dates, I'm a boring conversationalist.

Q: Have you at least seen any good movies recently?
A: Actually, yes. We went to see Coraline last weekend. If you haven't seen it, please do. It's great.

Q: What about TV?
A: The usual. Lost, BSG, Good Eats, etc. I did give up on Heroes part way through the first half of this season. It was so bad that I've cancelled the TiVo season pass for it. It could suddenly turn into the best show ever, and I'd never know. We did get an HD TiVo for ourselves for Christmas and have discovered that the ability to watch movies and old TV shows instantly using Netflix and TiVo is a great thing. We've watched lots of Alfred Hitchcock Presents that way.

Q: Read any good books?
A: Yes, I have. I have a soft spot for fantasy and I started reading Brandon Sanderson after hearing that he was going to be finishing The Wheel of Time. I've read Elantris and all three of the Mistborn books and recommend that fantasy lovers do the same. Now, in preparation for this fall's (scheduled) release of the last WoT novel, I'm rereading all of the Wheel of Time books. Of course, that's around 9000-10000 pages (or around 3 million words) of the same author, so we'll see how that goes.

Q: Some of these don't really sound like questions people have asked you.
A: Again, please put your submission in the form of a question.

Q: People didn't really ask you all this stuff, did they?
A: No, it was mostly the things about if I had quit or if I was ever posting again. It did give me a chance to have a conversation with myself and give updates on several things, though.

There you have it. You're now all up to date with my life. If you actually read this far, you have my thanks and my apologies. As a reward, feel free to throw out a topic for discussion. I'll probably ignore it, but you never know; you just might end up with a long-winded diatribe on it. I may be busy, but I'm still opinionated and wordy.

6 comments:

Matt said...

Did you see Coraline in 3-d or regular? I do want to see it, but I'm torn on that decision. Do we drive all the way across town for the 3-d theater? Just so K can try to balance 3-d glasses on top of her other glasses? Or do we see it in 2-d at our closer and preferred theater, but not in the intended format?

Also, is her name pronounced Cora-lyne or Cora-leen? I've been using the first pronunciation, but I heard someone on TV the other day saying it the other way.

Agent 31 said...

It's Coraline, with a long I.

And it was creepy as hell, I thought. All Tim Burtony with the 3D crawlies going on and evil-assed characters. Not for kids. So not for kids. Or skittish adults.

But it was good.

Craig said...

I saw it in 3D. It looks great and gives real depth to things, unlike many 3D things I've seen which are like looking through a View Master (multiple planes, but individual things are still 2D). Other people remember View Masters, right?

Yes, with a long I. People she meets in the movie tend to think her name is Caroline.

Maine, did you take your kids? I did think it was creepy, but not any more creepy than other things for kids like Disney movies or fairy tales about witches who plan to eat little children or The Wizard of Oz. But then, I often wonder why we don't think things like that are too scary for kids. There were a ton of kids in the theater with us and I was surprised that none of them seemed to be that scared by it.

Andrea said...

When my sister told me she was taking my niece to see this I said "Ooooh. Don't do that. I heard it was too creepy and scary for kids!" and she said "hogwash!" and took her.

Seems she was right. Not creepy for her at all. Makes me think maybe I should go see it after all.

I've not read the book so I don't know the themes or plots and I don't wanna, but one woman with kids felt that it's creepier for adults because we get why it's creepy. That kids are missing that component. I can't speak on that. For I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

Esther said...

Well, no complaints here about not posting. For much of this, I have the same reasons for not updating, except mine is the fact that I'm not working at all and really, when you sit at home all day, not much happens that's blog-worthy.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!