May 06, 2009

Oh Look, Something Involving Science Is in the News and Craig Is on a Soapbox. Everyone Act Surprised.

I've debated on posting something about all of the swine flu panic and have restrained myself because I don't want to try to sound like I'm putting myself out there as an expert (mostly because I'm not even remotely qualified to be one). In a turn of events that is surprising to absolutely no one, I can't keep my thoughts to myself and have to at least give you a little bit of commentary. 


I went to the store yesterday after work, and as I walked down an aisle I saw this.



That's where the hand sanitizer should be, but there are only a few bottles left. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are good and should be effective at eliminating influenza on your hands1. So, I suppose it's understandable (though perhaps a bit sad) that people have reacted to stories of the potential spread of the flu by buying so much hand sanitizer that it's almost sold out. 

However, do you know what else does a good job of inactivating influenza? Soap. Yeah, just plain old hand soap. It doesn't have to be any special soap, just soap. With this in mind, it bothered me to see this right next to the almost completely empty sanitizer area.



Sanitizer is great for when you can't get to water, but the reality is that your best bet in avoiding illness is hand-washing. Seeing the Purell, Germ-X and every other brand of sanitizer sell out while hardly a dent was made in the stock of soap2 seemed a sad, but perhaps fitting, metaphor for panic winning out over common sense.



1It does work for influenza and for many bacteria, but there are still a lot of things from various bacteria to Norovirus that it doesn't do much for, so washing your hands is still more effective.
2I realize I may be oversimplifying the reasons behind the shelves being this way, but I'm trying to make a point.

4 comments:

Marth said...

Yeaaaah! I hate when people overuse hand sanitizers. The most effective (i.e. germ ridding) part of washing your hands is the scrubbing part. I'm kind of anti-antibacterial because it selects for the strongest bacteria to survive. Ew.

MC Etcher said...

It seems that the alcohol-based sanitizers dry your skin, which can cause drying and cracking of the skin, which would increase your risks of infection, right? (not flu infection, but...)

Craig said...

@Ki Two: I thought about, but decided against (for the sake of time and space) saying anything about the difference between alcohol-based sanitizers and ones with things like Triclosan, which many people are concerened will lead to the spread of cross-resistance. (Though I think the data is still sketchy at best on whether that happens.)

@MC Etcher: Most of the hand sanitizers will have moisturizers to prevent that.

Something I should have made clear originally is that there are a couple of assumptions that I am making in my discussion. First, that hand-washing is done correctly and second that we are just talking about average people, not those who have jobs that expose them to lots of sick people or who are unable to easily wash their hands as often as would be needed.

Esther said...

I honestly am getting tired of hearing about swine flu. I mean, yes, it's a new strain that isn't included in the flu vaccine people got this winter, but seriously people, wash your hands with SOAP. I mean, schools in New York have been closed all over because of the flu?!