December 03, 2008

Chex Mix-a-Lot

I made Chex Mix tonight which brought up a few thoughts.


I realized that if I were to ever become a vegetarian (a real one, not just one of those "it's not cute, so it's ok" ones.) something I wouldn't automatically think of that I would miss would be Worcestershire sauce. Sure there are substitutes, but if the fake bacon is anything to go on, it's no substitute.

Speaking of substitutes, I once accidentally used soy sauce while making chex mix. Wow, it was bad. You could have used that batch to kill slugs in the garden. It was the saltiest thing I've ever tasted. And I once ate a big, heaping bowl of salt!

I was making what the box referred to as the "original" chex mix. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this recipe once involve an oven? In addition, what exactly is standard in chex mix?  Over the years, there have been additions and subtractions so many times that I don't even know what should and shouldn't be there, but I'm pretty sure that bagel chips (which are listed in the recipe now) rye chips and those weird little breadstick things that come in the bagged chex mix are not canon.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

We used to make the real, original chex mix all the time, and YES it involved an oven. This new recipe is worse than when they changed the marshmallows in all the monster cereals (not that I eat those anymore, but still).