November 05, 2007

Remember, Remember

Today, as you know is November 5th. You may or may not remember that today is also Guy Fawkes Day. I really don't know how you can have a cooler holiday than one that remembers the thwarting of a plot by a guy who wanted to make sure things blow'd up real good, and celebrates it by blowing other things up real good.

Other things bouncing around in my head at the moment:

I'm tired of hearing Sally Field talk about how well Boniva fits into her busy schedule. You know, some of her girlfriends have to set aside time every week to take their osteoporosis medicine. What are you doing that you can't take the time to take one single pill a week? Is the pill the size of a football? Do you have problems swallowing? Seriously, if you are at that point in your life and not taking a half dozen pills a day, you're doing pretty good. One more a week doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

We went to the grocery store last night and as we left I wondered "Can we sue Meijer for getting a Gloria Estefan song stuck in my head?" I'm fairly sure the answer is no, but it should be yes.

Really little kids dressed up in costumes and going trick-or-treating are cute. Obnoxious teenagers doing the same are not. We bought way too much Halloween candy, as always. We were popular, however, because we discovered that if we went to one of the warehouse type stores we could give away full sized candy bars without spending more than buying the minis at the grocery store.

The store we went to was Gordon Food Service, which is designed mostly for restaurant and catering needs. I love the store because you never know what absurd thing you are going to find. For example, the one gallon container of imitation vanilla.

0727071806-00

Speaking of strange things found at the store, I noticed recently that one of our local stores has a very large can that claims to contain a whole cooked chicken. I just found this to be amusing.

Want to see me alienate a significant percentage of my readers? I liked The Daily Show much better when Craig Kilborn was the host. I find it entirely too self-important and not funny now. I keep thinking I'll eventually write a whole post about this, but I have to put it out there even without devoting an entire post to it.

Reaper is funny. Pushing Daisies is clever and sweet, if a little eccentric. Chuck cracks me up. I still wish Lost was already back on.

Lolsecretz is absolutely hilarious. You should go read it now. Of course, if you aren't familiar with Post Secret (but after my last post you should be) or the unstoppable phenomenon that is Lolcats (but if you are online, you pretty much have to be), it won't make much sense.

I have a few other things I want to write about, but they will have to wait until later when I have time, energy and the mental capacity to write it properly.

And finally, I'm not promising anything, but if you happen to watch the college football game on ESPN 2 tomorrow night and see a very fat man dressed in black, it could be me. Of course, it's a football game where the home team's main color is black, so it could be just about anyone else, too.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

YAY! I've been laughing my ass off at lolsecretz, even though I know it's probably not cool to think lolcats are funny anymore. But I'm always a step behind the Cool Kids, so screw them, they made fun of me in junior high anyway.

Also, I have never seen an entire gallon of imitation vanilla before. I can't tell from the picture, how much was it? Because those teeny bottles of vanilla are freaking expensive, this gallon thing seems like a damn good deal.

Esther said...

I was just thinking the same thing. I could easily go through the vanilla - the only question would be where to store it in my NYC apartment...

Itchy said...

You're tired of Sally Field? I'm tired of that know it all chick at the club talking to all of her friends about Yaz! You're at a club...you would not be speaking that intelligently about your birth control, no matter what your profession is! Sure you may be speaking of your birth control, making sure you took your birth control, hoping your birth control works because damn! that dude is going home with me toNIGHT. But no...you would not be talking about PMS or PMDD or PM Dawn or whatever they're talking about and the possible side effects of your birth control at the club! No way, no how. And I have even more than my doctor switched me to that one. Do I now need to go to the club and discuss birth control in intelligent and lengthy ways with others? Crap.

Matt said...

Too much to cram into one comment. Glad to see you. I won't take that Daily Show crack too hard. I figured there had to be at least *some* people out there who liked Kilborn better (law of averages). I, too, am enjoying Pushing Daisies and Reaper, though I fear the first is in danger of cancellation because of it's sheer quirkiness (and both will undoubtedly suffer because of this strike). Missed the game, sorry. Maybe next time I'll look for you in the stands.