June 18, 2007

Pieces of Eight

So, I was tagged with this meme and have been having a hard time with it. I'm supposed to tell you 8 random things about me, and then tag eight of you to do the same. Easy, right? Yeah, like I can come up with 8 things that might be interesting about me that I'm willing to tell you, but haven't told you yet. (Actually, have I done this meme already? I feel like I have at some point.)

1. I'm currently very disappointed that I missed seeing the Sci-Fi original movie Ice Spiders. I saw commercials for it, and had intended to watch or record it, but forgot all about it until it was too late.

2. I've actually thought a lot about quitting this blog or at least taking a break from it. In fact, I even wrote a post 3 months ago about taking a break, but I never posted it.

3. I love the new version of Doctor Who and am anxiously awaiting the beginning of Season 3 next month. (For those of us in the US, that is. I realize that Season 3 will be finished in the UK before I get to see the premiere.)

4. While a decent case could be made for Tiger Woods, I believe that the most dominant (in his own sport) single athlete in the world today is Takeru Kobayashi, yet recently someone broke his most famous world record. Finally, the guy is getting some competition. So if you don't think I'll be watching and blogging when they go head to head on July 4th, you are greatly mistaken.

5. I could spend hours at a time on Wikipedia, starting with one thing that I want to look up, and then just moving to article after article linked in the text.

6. I am slightly (and embarrassingly) addicted to the new Southern Style Chicken Sandwich at McDonalds. I realize that this a a horrible thing to admit, but there it is.

7. I'm having a hard time with this one. I've already filled out #8, but I can't think of what to have for the next to last one. I've come up with a few, but then I keep deciding that they are better as a full post instead. Ok, here it is: I like to quote lyrics from a song in normal conversation whenever possible and act as if nothing is unusual. You can do this with movie or television quotes as well, but since lyrics are so out of context when they are parted from music, it takes a while for people to realize what I'm doing. This works best if you can make them fit the context (at least at first) of the conversation (ex. "Her parents were not there for her. They just pretty much ignored her when she was growing up." "So, daddy didn't pay attention...to the fact that mommy didn't care?") But it also works for confusing people with completely random fake conversations. ("How was your day?" "I hurt myself today." "Oh no, how?" "To see if I still feel." "What? Are you ok?" "I focus on the pain, the only thing that's real." "What are you talking about? Oh. You're doing it again, aren't you?")

8. Since Pluto was downgraded from planet to "dwarf planet named after Mickey's dog", I've been wondering how to change the song I learned in elementary school that helped me remember the order of the planets in our solar system. You remember "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizza-pies" (or Pies or Pizzas, depending on the version) don't you? Well, it can't just end at the educated mother serving nine. There has to be something. The best I'm come up with so far is "...Just Served Us Naan," but I'm not sure that naan is exactly accessible enough to make it useful rather than confusing to elementary school kids. "Nachos", maybe?

Ok, now to tag eight of you. The problem here is that if I were to tag eight people, I'd have to tag all of you that read this blog and then find a couple of random people to bring the total up. So, I guess you can all consider yourselves tagged (if you want, or just ignore it if you don't).

2 comments:

Itchy said...

1. How did I not know about Ice Spiders? And could I pull off changing my name to Dash?

2. HA! I thought about quitting. Announced that I was probably going to on the old blog. Didn't post anything for two whole days. Came back as if nothing ever happened. It was fun. Give that a go!

6. McDonalds in my area of the world has started providing sweet tea. I need to know if this is a nationwide McDonalds offering or will I be disappointed if I live with this belief and then visit a Northern McDonalds? And I think you probably just informed me of what I shall have for lunch. Thanks for that...mmmmmm Southern Style Chicken Sandwich....

MC Etcher said...

I'd miss you if you stopped. Could you at least email me some Craigisms from time to time, if you do stop blogging? Thank you.