March 02, 2009

The Graveyard Book: Less a Review Than a Declaration of Love


The Graveyard Book has gotten a lot of press recently. After all, it was named the winner of the Newbery Award. Feeling a little behind the times, I started reading the book myself. Less than 24 hours later, eyes moist, heart full of joy, pain, loss and love, I sat holding the book I had just finished reading. While the book is reasonably short and simple to read, the real reason I finished it so quickly was that I never wanted to put it down.  


The title plays off of Kipling's The Jungle Book, as does much of the story, but where there were wolves and a jungle, there are now ghosts and a graveyard. Nobody Owens is a boy who has lost his family, but by wandering into the graveyard finds a new, somewhat nontraditional one. The inhabitants of the graveyard act as family, teachers and protectors, keeping him safe until the time comes to return to the world of men. (I'll stop the plot description here for the sake of any of you who haven't read it yet.)

I tend to consider myself a fan of Neil Gaiman. I read pretty much as many of his works as I can get my hands on. I think that, to date, The Graveyard Book may just be my favorite thing he has written, and really, I don't know that I can think of much higher praise than that.

7 comments:

Agent 31 said...

I just finished Neverwhere a few days ago. Heard of this one. Seems likeable.

Unless the kid is "dead the whole time." In that case, I'd be disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Better than Stardust? I probably won't get to this one for a while, but good to know.

Craig said...

Maine, The book isn't one that concerned with huge shocking plot twists, so you don't have to worry about that.

Ashley, This is all personal opinion, so it's hard to say, but for me the answer is yes, and I loved Stardust.

Marni said...

I, too, adored this book. And I've heard it is going to be a movie... hope they don't mess it up. The story is so sweet and heartfelt.

Wonderful

Marni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

I just read a review about this and thought I should add it to my loooooong list of things to read. And now I may move it up the list a bit.

I still want to read Watchmen. Doubt I get that taken care of before this weekend, though. Damn.

Matt said...

I'm not sure why I put off buying/reading this one. I've heard about it, but it looked more like a "kid's" book to me and although I immensely enjoyed Coraline, I just figured I'd wait. High praise from you, though... I may have to go get it.