October 30, 2008

Doctor, Doctor

It seems that the Tenth Doctor has indeed given us the news. David Tennant has confirmed that he will remain the titular character on Doctor Who for the specials in 2009, but will not be back in 2010. I realize that three seasons, plus a few specials is pretty much a standard duration for an actor in the role (at least for any after Tom Baker), but I can't help wishing that Tennant would stay on a little longer. No matter who fills the role next, it will be hard to match his ability to alternate between the child who is filled with wonder at the simplest of things and weary traveller who has witnessed the death of everything he loves.

Now of course, comes the speculation. Who will be the next Doctor? What's going to happen?There have been all sorts of suggestions, and I really can't say that I know if any of them would be good or bad. In my opinion, however, if you're looking for a new Doctor, I feel like you can't go wrong with Andre Young. (Too obvious? Should I have said Dwight Gooden?)

2 comments:

MC Etcher said...

Tennant is great, he's absolutely perfect for the role and I'll miss him.

I think it's high time for a female doctor.

How about Emma Thompson? Christine Adams might be good too.

MC Etcher said...

Bwa Ha Ha!